here’s an in-depth, quick-reference, problem-solving resource for those involved in the care of dialysis patients. more than 120 world-class authorities discuss dialysis techniques, mechanical considerations, and complications related to various diseases for both pediatric and adult patients. selected annotated references and excellent cross-referencing between chapters help you find answers fast, and more than 100 photos, drawings, charts, and tables, mostly in color, clarify complex topics. providing practical, immediately useful guidelines that can be applied directly to patient care, this book is a “must-have” for all dialysis caregivers.
new to this edition
- features a new 4-color format, enabling you to find the guidance you need more quickly.
- includes coverage of convective dialytic therapies and the results of recent clinical trials.
- ensures that you keep current on pediatric dialysis concerns prevention and treatment with new chapters including prevention and treatment of bone disease, management of anemia, assessing quality of life in pediatric patients undergoing dialysis, and immunizations in children undergoing dialysis.
- presents the practice-proven experience of top experts in the field of dialysis treatment.
- offers dialysis guidance for both adult and pediatric patients in one convenient source.
- features a readable hands-on approach, allowing you to quickly review the complicated concepts of dialysis.
- includes helpful annotated bibliography lists in each section for further in-depth research on any subject.
- explains complex dialysis concepts through abundant diagrams, photos, line drawings, and tables.
- edgar lerma md, assistant professor of medicine, university of illinois-chicago college of medicine, chicago, illinois.
- eric berns, md, professor of medicine, division of nephrology, university of pennsylvania, philadelphia, pa.
- alan nissenson, md, director of the clinical dialysis program, professor of medicine, division of nephrology, ucla school of medicine, los angeles, california.
to-the-point diagnostic and therapeutic information on kidney diseases, hypertension, and kidney transplantation
current essentials of nephrology & hypertension is a practical, state-of-the-art review of the clinical management of kidney disease and hypertension. concise and authoritative, the book offers a consistent, easy-to-follow presentation and thoroughly addresses hypertension and the full spectrum of kidney diseases.
- conveniently presents one disease per page
- bulleted data covering essentials of diagnosis, differential diagnosis, and treatment for each disease state
- a pearl, and in most cases, a reference for each condition
- every section or subsection arranged in alphabetical order
- important subspecialty considerations, including care of pediatric, elderly, diabetic, elderly, diabetic, and critical care patients
- claudio ronco, md, divisione di nefrologia, ospedale san bortolo, vicenza, italy;
- rinaldo bellomo, mbbs(hons), md, fracp, fccp, chairman, australian and new zealand intensive care society clinical trials group; director of intensive care research, department of intensive care, austin & repatriation medical centre, melbourne, victoria, australia;
- john kellum, md, upmc presbyterian, pittsburgh, pa
because of the increase in serious kidney diseases, including end-stage renal disease, your role as a nephrologist, intensivist, surgeon, or critical care physician is quickly expanding. well received in its 1st edition, this 2nd edition continues to provide comprehensive coverage of the latest advances in critical care procedures for the adult or pediatric patient with renal diseases or disorders. presents a common language and standardized guidelines to help multi-disciplinary physicians caring for the critically ill communicate more effectively. a new us editor, detailed discussions of different forms of organ support, artificial organs, infections, acute illness occurring in chronic hemodialysis patients, and much more make this book an exceptional resource for anyone who treats critically ill renal patients. and, as an expert consult title, this meticulously updated 2nd edition comes with access to the complete contents online, fully searchable.
new to this edition
- features a new us editor, dr. john kellum, who incorporates his expertise in critical care medicine to the 2nd edition and extends the breadth of coverage with a north american perspective.
- includes access to the complete fully searchable contents online for convenient referencing.
- discusses new techniques in the field providing you with a comprehensive review of the experimental and clinical work being done.
- features a new 2-color design and shorter, more focused chapters to help you access key facts quicker.
- presents a multi-disciplinary and international approach to critical renal care for a thorough and integrated presentation of how to care for critically ill patients with renal disease or complications.
- addresses the full range of renal problems, from epidemiology to monitoring and diagnostic procedures to pathophysiology of organ systems in relation to kidney failure.
- provides details on different forms of organ support, including liver, lung, and cardiac therapy.
- defines common guidelines in nephrology and critical care medicine for better communication among clinicians.
- places a special emphasis on therapeutic interventions and treatment procedures for a hands on clinical reference tool.
- arthur greenberg, md, division of nephrology, department of medicine, duke university medical center, durham, nc
this official publication of the national kidney foundation (nkf) covers all aspects of adult and pediatric kidney diseases and is ideal for nephrologists and non-nephrologists alike. the full-color design, high-quality photographs, and outstanding graphs and tables make information easy to access and understand. the latest management techniques and pearls from leading clinical experts—including international contributors—offer practical and authoritative guidance. edited by dr. arthur greenberg and members of the nkf scientific advisory board, this state-of-the-art primer provides consistent depth of coverage, balanced discussion of controversy, and a uniform focus of information.
new to this edition
- new chapters on disorders of magnesium homeostasis and thombotic microangiopathies to reflect advances in management.
- includes the most up-to-date management guidelines and pearls of wisdom to provide you with best practices.
- presents new ideas and perspectives through 25% new contributing clinical experts.
- incorporates the latest nkf kidney/outcome quality initiative (k/doqi) guidelines on chronic kidney disease staging and management.
- features a current and practical review of the anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management of kidney disease, fluid and electrolyte disorders, hypertension, dialysis, and renal transplantation.
- covers the whole field of nephrology in concise and well-illustrated, four-color chapters.
- puts complex material and the latest developments into perspective for in-depth, yet succinct summaries in every area.
- includes high-quality photographs, as well as outstanding graphs and tables for a varied approach to the subject matter.
- robert thomas, medical student, medical school, university of newcastle upon tyne, newcastle upon tyne, uk
- bethany stanley, medical student, university of leicester school of medicine, leicester, uk
covering all aspects of the syllabus, crash course offers students a fast way to recap on what they need to know to get through the exams with ease. styled in an easy-to-follow, readily accessible format, each book is prepared by senior medical students or junior doctors – under faculty supervision – to give them the correct level of information perfectly tailored to current curricula requirements. the series now includes improved pedagogic features and a fully revised self-assessment section, updated to meet current examination needs.
- timothy h.j. goodship bsc, md, frcp, senior lecturer in nephrology, consultant nephrologist, the royal victoria infirmary, newcastle upon tyne, uk
- bradley j. maroni md, associate professor of medicine, emory university school of medicine, and director, clinical nephrology, the emory clinic, atlanta, georgia, usa
a generously illustrated color review of renal medicine
this superbly illustrated review provides coverage of the range of issues liable to confront practitioners in the field of clinical nephrology and renal transplantation. containing questions designed to educate as well as test knowledge, the title features 220 case presentations depicting all aspects of the kidney speciality and will be of use to all those involved in the care of nephrology patients. the questions are pitched at different levels of expertise and are followed by detailed explanatory answers. many illustrations feature clinical photographs and diagnostic imaging, while some questions involve interpretation of biochemical or hematological data. the authors have taken account of the latest developments in the field and the title provides a fully up-to-date review for experienced practitioners and physicians in training.